Translate

Monday, November 12, 2012

Seize Hope Nails


HAPPY EPILEPSY AWARENESS MONTH!! This November has been a real treat for me. At my high school, with the help of my friends and classmates, I successfully started epilepsy awareness! All around the halls are little facts about the disorder, and every morning they say something about it on the announcements. On the 16th, we will have a purple-out day, and a couple days ago, I was worried about who would participate. Everyone who I go to school with is 'too cool.' Right? I guess not! All week, every day someone new will message or text me and ask what epilepsy is, what it's like, and when they need to wear purple. Friends, acquaintances, strangers, and even ex-friends are offering their support and understanding. It brings tears to my eyes!! I don't know that I've ever felt SO loved in my whole life. Thank you everyone.


What better way to spread awareness than posting embarrassing pictures of yourself on the internet? That's me, getting my first 48 hour EEG. The first one is me just being awesome, and the second one is the name of the test (Ambulatory Electroencephalography Monitoring Unit, or AEEG). That one is kind of an inside joke that only the people in my second period chemistry class (shout out to Mr. Hanson) would understand... Long story short, I am a whole lot funnier than I think I am. Anyways, an EEG is a test that monitors your brain waves and muscle movements and determines what kind of seizures you're having, when you're having them, and, if you're lucky, why you're having them. I've had three of them--none of them lasting longer than an hour. But with all of the problems I've been having lately, my doctor(s) thought it'd be necessary to hook me up for a longer amount of time. I have 24 leads (wires) on my head and one on my chest, all connected to a little box in a highly fashionable black bag. To top off the look, I am wrapped in a gauze hat. I cannot go to school or do chores. And people bring me free food. JACKPOT. The one thing that really sucks about this is I have to do whatever it takes to have a seizure--AKA go against everything I've taught myself to do over the years. Throw all of it out the window. So I'm not sleeping (and when I do, it's only for a couple of hours) and I'm stressing myself out with homework. But it's all for good reason! The more seizures, the better the results, the better the treatment. I have faith in this test and in my Jesus, and that is all that matters. I have the Lord on my side... Who am I to complain?

One question that I get A LOT is "Are you scared?"
And my answer is always the same, without a thought.
No.

James 1:2-3
"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance."

How can I be with a verse like that?

No comments:

Post a Comment